The subject in the ad is the device that the silhouette is holding. The iPod and the headphones are the intended focus of this advertisement. What makes the iPod stand out so much is the contrast in colors. The yellow background, the black silhouette and the thing that pops is the product itself. What I noticed that was missing was the ethnicity of the dancer because Apple made the dancer into a silhouette. Apple did that because they want to show iPod sees no color. The purpose of the rhetorical object is to show all music lovers that Apple’s iPod is about having fun and just going crazy. The main reason some should buy this item is to have fun while listening to their favorite genre of music. Another thing that was omitted was the price of one of the devices. In psychology, this term is called the foot-in-the-phenomenon. Where the seller grabs your attention and makes you consider buying their product, without telling the buyer how much the item actually costs. Both race and price where omitted from the ad to get you to buy the product, or to at least consider purchasing the product.
The motivation for this ad is to sell the product, plain and simple. This advertisement shows the world that when you own one of these devices, the world is a better place. Where you can dance, blast your music and just enjoy life. The audience, like I said before, is music lovers around the world. Anyone who listens to music should own an iPod. The constraints are that when I state how great these iPods are and the reader thinking well I have a cd player and I love it. But I am going to assume that the reader and I have some common ground when it comes to owning an iPod. Also, that the reader loves their iPod just as much as I do. That we share the feeling that out iPods are an essential part of our daily existence and our personal happiness. When we examine the structure and composition of the ad, we notice the different themes that go into it. The unity of the ad is how it stirs up happy emotions in us, because we see people dancing and enjoying their music in a whole new way. There appears to be a hierarchy in this ad, in that the silhouette appears to be the most important thing. But the ad highlights the iPod and the headphones, showing that if you have an Apple iPod, your music and movies are always with you, no matter where you go. Thus fun is always at your fingertips. In this advertisement the contrasting colorful backgrounds and the black silhouette highlight the white iPod and makes it stand out.

The intended audience is music lovers of any genre or generation. Anyone who loves music should own one. Throughout the years the audience has never changed. Music lovers own iPods. Obviously this applies to me since I own an iPod, in fact I’ve owned four throughout the years. I keep buying them because I love music and that is how this ad appeals to me. I love my music and cannot survive without it. Apple is hoping that all music lovers feel the same way as I do, therefore gaining customers. This is the 21st century’s listening device; c.d. players are a thing of the past. Good bye, old technology and hello, wave of the future. It is my opinion that IPods are must have items, and most everyone owns one. They keep selling because with each generation they get better and better. Some of the newer iPods are in different assorted colors; I saw the purple one and fell in love. Apple created the new generation to appeal to a larger audience. Before Apple only had plain colors; white, black and silver, but now they have purple, blue, red etc. I cannot go anywhere without my iPod. I need them especially when I have to ride on the airplane for two hours or when I am doing homework. Most college students own one and you can see why. You yourself probably own one; you know how great these little devices really are. They are a great accessory to keep people entertained on a daily basis. Apple created a universal entertainment device that anyone from any age can own and enjoy.
I'm interested in your description of the target audience. You say everyone... but in the commercials, I see a bunch of thin, young, able-bodied people. Is the iPod for older generations, or the disabled? What do you think?
ReplyDeleteYou have a good point, I actually did not think of that. Though the commercial does not appeal to older generations, but it could potentially inspire them to buy an ipod because it could make them feel hip and young again. As the disabled, I really do not know how Apple could appeal to the disabled. I do not think that Apple was discriminating against either groups, I am just not sure how they appeal to both audiences.
ReplyDeleteI think the commercial is trying to portray like you said that an ipod can go anywhere with you and it is trying to show how much fun an ipod is and that if the target audience wants to have an ipod they to could be having this much fun of just dancing aimlessly and not caring what others may think. As for the target audience I think that they do not portray the older generations because the younger generation mostly tries to keep with the times and change with every revolution where the older generation may feel strong about a CD player because maybe if you break your ipod your out a bit of money and your songs are gone where as the CD you only loose maybe 13 or 20, could be wrong but I dont know
ReplyDeleteGood point. I told my mother that and she agreed. She stated that if she broke her iPod she would be upset, but if she broke her c.d. player she would only lose a couple of bucks, not $300. And maybe you are right. The commercial does not portray the older generations, but yet my grandparents own one. I don't know, maybe they got jealous once their grandchildren owned one. Therefore Apple is advertising through social networking.
ReplyDelete